A really, really long time ago. I received two nominations for the Leibsteraward. Leibsteraward is basically an informal way to draw attention to lesser known Blogs you like to read.
So I would like to thank CKB.Reviews and Sarah Rhea
Share 11 things about yourself.
Answer the 11 questions your nominator asked.
So… my 11 facts:
1. Up to when I was 16 I wanted to be a cop.
2. I can’t leave my house without my blue-tooth headphones, as that would mean having no music or audio book.
3. I did a major in philosophy because of the book ‘Sophies World‘ by Jostein Gaarder.
4. I wear my earrings asymmetrically, I have two small hoops on one side and three studs and a pierced cuff on the other. I only ever change the cuff, the others I have since my 16th.
5. I’m a TV-addict who doesn’t own a TV, as I enjoy American and British TV so much more than Dutch TV.
6. I don’t have any depth perception as there is something wrong in how my brain interprets the signals given by my eyes.
7. I ‘speak’ four language, although I’m only fluent in Dutch and English. I did have lessons in French and German, but I can only say/understand the basics.
8. My shoe-size is 44 [UK: 9,5 and US: 10], resulting in me wearing mostly sneakers, as women’s shoes are hard to come by and expensive in my size.
9. I have two framed posters in my room. One is a map of Westeros the other is of the tenth and eleventh doctor.
10. I have a brother and a foster-sister, who lived with us for so long I don’t know any better. I also had two other foster-sisters but I haven’t got much contact with them. Both of them lived with us for about two years [not at the same time].
11. I hate t-shirts with store-bought prints because almost always they are weird or meaningless. So I mostly wear plain shirts or once with self-made prints.
My slightly more than 11 answers, because I had two sets…
1. If you could have one of these things which would you want out of: Money, Power, Fame?
Fame seems to be highly irritating with people following you and always wanting your attention and without money you won’t be able to escape it, so that’s a no. Power would be good as it is real power to do big things like stopping war or famine, I don’t however thing that, that kind of power exist for one person to have, or should exist. So I would choose money, because you can do good things with money too, and it has the added bonus that you can live comfortable yourself.
2. If you could go back in time to when you were 13 and re-live your life, knowing what you know now. Would you?
Why not I like high school and I liked university. I love studying and there were always cool people to hang out with. Also there wasn’t as much pressure to know where you are going with your life.
3. What is your favourite joke?
I like kermit-jokes. They however don’t really work in English. The Dutch word for frog is kikker, so he is called Kermit the Kikker. Then you take a word which rhyme with kikker like sticker or snicker [and there are many more in Dutch]. So you could ask ‘it’s green and sticky? Kermit the sticker’ or ‘it’s green with peanuts? Kermit the Snicker’.
4. Using only the numbers, 2,3,4,5 and the symbols + and = can you make a ‘true equation’ without google?
Yes because I’m awesome and studying to be a math teacher and just to demonstrate my true equation is ‘2 + 5 = 3 + 4’
5. Put iTunes on shuffle. What are the next 5 songs that get played?
Ed Sheeran – Fire Alarms
Amy Winehouse – Back To Black
Hayden Panettiere – Telescope
Flogging Molly – The Worst Day Since Yesterday
The Script – If You Ever Come Back
6. If you could invite anyone [living or dead] to a fantasy dinner party which 5 people would you pick?
I feel like I should give these really sophisticated answers, but then I would be sitting at a table with these incredible minds and feeling stupid and not knowing what to say and these incredible people will have this very interesting conversation and I’m not really able to follow it… So maybe I should opt for the more accessible people? Or a mix…
Jostein Gaarder, because as I said he wrote the book that influenced my choices the most.
Aaron Sorkin, he wrote The West Wing.
George R.R. Marin, out of his mind came this elaborate world with its own history, religions and culture.
Barack Obama, as the “leader of the free world” [which I do not subscribe to] he must have a fascinating life and I think he and Sorkin would have an amazing conversation.
Herman van Veen, because of Dutch/Utrecht-pride and he has amazing songs, but also wrote this very intelligent children’s cartoon which has all these deep-real world themes.
7. If you could pick one thing to happen in your future, what would it be?
I would write this amazing book.
8. Quick, a zombie smashes into your house, you have 3 seconds to grab the object closest to you. What is that object?
Actually I made swords from PVC pipes, insulation foam and duct tape. I made them for our cub scouts. This weekend we have a King Arthur themed camp. I have no clue if they would actually be useful against a zombie, but it looks badass. So one of those.
9. What one moral issue can you honestly say you would never bend on? [For instance, not eating meat for a vegetarian.]
Murder isn’t something to do lightly?
10. Fight or Flight
After this last year I would say fight.
11. What is the best story you have regarding a life event?
I can remember the day my sister came to live with us. I was seven, so this is over 20 years ago. We didn’t have a car so we went to pick her up by train. When we were walking from the children’s home she used to live to the station she realised she forgot her teddy bear and my father had to run back and get it so we wouldn’t miss the train. The image of my father running with a backpack is the one thing that made the biggest impression on me that day. I vowed to never run with a backpack. I liked that it was that what I remember most about that day, because it makes her coming to live with her so much more normal. She has been my sister for over 20 years now and I really don’t know or remember how our family was without her.
12. Who was the last person to whom you said “I love you”?
Probably my mother.
13. Who would you want to play you if your life was a movie?
That’s a hard question. First one who comes to mind is Kate Moennig, not that she resembles me in any way, but I liked her character Shane on The L Word and wished I could be a little more laid back like that.
14. You win the lottery, all debt has been paid off and you’ve already given money to your friends and/or family to help them out, what is your first frivolous purchase for yourself?
I would like a large penthouse, something with very few walls and lots of space, preferably in The Hague, so it’s close to the beach but still in a city.
15. Day or Night?
16. You’re having a dinner party with 3 guests…who is with you? This is the twist…1 is living, 1 is dead, 1 is a fictional person or being.
Kind of similar to question #6, but those were all real and living [as far as I know]. So one of them and Nelson Mandela, because my parents named me after his wife and of course The Doctor, preferably ten or eleven.
17. Guiltiest pleasure?
I have more than one. Definitely ‘Kinderen voor Kinderen‘ it’s a children choir which releases a new CD every year in December. When I was younger we listened to them endlessly and knew most of the songs by heart and I still enjoy listening to them at times, because it is pure nostalgia.
18. Where are you in 10 years?
At this point I’m not willing to look further than nine months, then I will have my teaching qualification and I will make a decision. Hopefully happy and alive.
19. What is your favourite colour?
Red or denim.
20. Do you have a token [book, bear, blanket, etc…] of your childhood you haven’t been able to let go?
21. What’s your favourite curse word? If you don’t have one, what’s your favourite word?
I’m trying to quit cursing, because I think cursing isn’t the best example to set. I like the word ‘incommensurabiliteit’ it’s the Dutch version of ‘incommensurability‘ it means as much as there not being an objective reason to choose between two different theories. Also I like the word ‘ace’ for something [or someone] that is cool/excellent.
22. When all your dreams come true, who do you want standing beside you? [bonus kudos if you know where this question comes from]
I want my bonus kudos this is One Tree Hill! But I wouldn’t choose Lucas… Not quite sure who I would choose in real life either.
Done and done!